Tuesday, February 16, 2010

she wore blue velvet



tis clear that velvet is a major thing going on in the fall collections. and i, for one, am loving it. velvet is absurd. in a good way. it makes anything ordinary suddenly feel luxurious. i remember one of the first things i bought with my own money as a "grown up" was a pair of black velvet jeans. i loved them to death. literally. i wore them until they became too natty to wear any longer. and i miss them to this day. lucky for me then, that it seems like i will easily be able to find a replacement come fall.

both Catherine Malandrino (top pics) and Alexander Wang (bottom) used a heavy hand with the velvet - but instead of going rather queenly with it, which is easy to do, they went goth. LOVE. maybe it's the part of me that still loves the Nirvana cheerleader girls. maybe it's the lingering love of my college roommate in philly... but i have a major weakness for the goth chick thing, and if you dress it up with a little luxury - baby you are dialing my number. i'm particularly obsessed with the blue velvet dress at Malandrino - the cobalt and black combo is friggin GORGE. (as a total aside - the leopard coat made me drool a little... and made me a little dizzy with lust...i confess) and the leather/velvet combo is something that little old me is certainly going to be working come fall... (it's somehow easy to think of fall clothes, with a snow storm going on outside.)

and Alexander, oh Alexander. my love for you grows. there isn't really a word to describe my reaction to the grey velvet - it falls somewhere between hysteria, lust and euphoria... hysterluphoria. there - now there is a word for it. it looks like a fall sky in paris. one that you can touch. toss in some black leather and lace, and we're good to go. HYSTERLUPHORIA. he hit it once again.

i'm looking out my window at the snow, and i'm desperate for warm weather to come - but now at least i feel a bit better about the chilly times...

No comments:

Post a Comment